CAMBRIDGE SECONDARY JUNIOR LEVEL
The Cambridge Secondary 8th and 9th year [Form 1 and 2] is the equivalent of grades 8 and 9 of the South African Education System. At this level the students are exposed to a variety of subjects that give them a solid foundation for the subjects they are going to choose at senior Level. Particular emphasis is given on mathematics, science, principles of accounting and English.
CAMBRIDGE SECONDARY INTERMEDIATE – IGCSE & O LEVEL
IGCSE /O level/GCE are the 10th and 11th year of schooling and is equated by SAQA as the equivalent of Grade 11 (NQF3)
It is Form 3 and 4 according to ZIMSEC (Zimbabwe Schools Examination Council).
IGCSE / O level may also be used for entry into UNISA for mature age exemption.
Cambridge IGCSE and Cambridge O Level are equivalent qualifications grade for grade. Please see below a comparison of these qualifications. This also applies to O level offered by ZIMSEC
Features of Cambridge IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education)
• Cambridge IGCSE is aimed at a wide ability range of students, with a range of grades awarded from A* (highest grade) to G (lowest). There is a core (C to G) and extended (A* to C) curriculum available in some subjects.
• Cambridge IGCSE uses a variety of assessment techniques to test oral and practical skills, initiative and problem-solving and application of skills, knowledge and understanding.
• A coursework option is available in many syllabuses, allowing Centers an element of personal choice and giving teachers the chance to share in the process of assessment.
• Candidates are rewarded for positive achievement (what they know, understand, and can do).
• Cambridge IGCSE prepares for progression to employment, or to further study. It prepares students very well for Cambridge International A and AS Levels.
At Ruziwo Cambridge Tutors we offer only those IGCSE subjects which do not require coursework marks
Features of Cambridge O level (Ordinary Level)
Cambridge O Level shares some of these features, but the following differences should be noted:
• Cambridge O Level candidates are only awarded grades from A* to E, where A* is the highest achievable grade.
• Cambridge O Level offers fewer coursework options than Cambridge IGCSE.
• Some Cambridge O Level syllabuses were developed to meet specific local needs, such as minority languages.
• The focus of Cambridge O Level languages is on writing and reading skills
• There are more restricted practical test options in Cambridge O Level sciences.
These constraints are advantageous to some teaching Centers where resources are limited, for example no oral examiner is available).
At Ruziwo Cambridge tutors we offer all the core subjects at O level
CAMBRIDGE SENIOR ADVANCED LEVEL
AS Levels (Advanced Subsidiary Level – A1)
AS Levels is the 12th year of schooling. It is recognised by the South African Matriculation Board as the equivalent of Senior Certificate subjects (NQF4) passed at the Higher Grade, or under the new NSC system 7,6,5 or 4 pass which is a necessary requirement for University Entrance (Matric with Endorsement).
To get an equivalent of a Matric Certificate you need to have passed at least 5 AS level Subjects with a 50% or above,
It is Form 5 according to ZIMSEC exam board
A Levels (Advanced Level – A2)
A Levels are the 13th year of schooling and are generally only necessary if you are applying to go to certain International universities.
It is Form 6 according to ZIMSEC exam board
A Levels are more focused on the academic or Professional area that one decides to pursue at tertiary level ie Sciences, Engineering, Humanities, Law and Commerce. Candidates are expected to do an average of 3 Subjects that are related to the programs they intend to study at tertiary level.
A Levels are recognised locally by the South African Matriculation Board for entrance into South African Universities as well as by SABA (South African Qualifications Authority)
Most local African Universities accept at least 2 A Level passes in addition to 5 IGCSE or O Level Passes.
ZIMSEC (Zimbabwe Schools Examination Council) EXAMS
Much of the content covered by ZIMSEC O-Level and A-Level syllabuses is similar to that of Cambridge O and A-Level respectively. ZIMSEC exams can only be registered and written in Zimbabwe. We offer lessons only.
SOUTH AFRICAN EDUCATION SYSTEM (NCS)
Ruziwo Cambridge Tutors offers extra, remedial and revision lessons to Learners attending school from Grade 5 – Matric.
Summary for entry in to South African Universities:
You can enter South Africa Universities with any of the following Qualifications:
1 Matric Certificate passed with a bachelor.
2 Cambridge AS Certificate with at Least 5 subjects passed.
3 Passed 2 A Levels + 4 or more O level/IGCSE.
4 5 O levels at UNISA (Mature Entry)